Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 24 - Medellin (One with my surroundings)

By no means am I complaining but today shole was a hot day, lol. The heat slows you something down kinda serious, no matter. I've been idle too long and I need to be set somewhat free. So the last few days I posted pictures of this black and tan colored building. I found out it is a cultural center that has certain exhibitions. I decided to go check it out and it had some cool art and of course, some views. Take a look!

 

 

 



After this, I decided I would take my homemade yummy sandwich and walk to Parque Bolivar so I could people watch. After walking down a few sketchy streets. I mean prostitutes out at noon, I end up at the park and its beautiful. It was nice just enjoying the shade watching the locals. I think the funniest thing I saw was a man take a plastic cup into this fountain and scoop out water to quickly clean his dog and a bit of himself. 

From there I head up further into the city to the Jardin Botantical Gardens. I have not heard the greatest things about it, but I must admit it was pretty nice considering. Very well kept, it was nice to see people in the park just enjoying the day and their families as well as the sites of the botanical gardens.












I also stopped off to enjoy a creamy helado (ice cream). It was berry-delicious. Cheezy I know, but still.




My favorite are the girls jump-roping. I haven't seen this in years. I might me somewhat inspired.

After too much time in the heat, I called it an afternoon and went back to the hostel to do some reading. I am 200 pages in. It's a page turner that's for sure. Maybe cause its so different from Dracula *e-gags*. I decided to splurge a wee bit on some Chee-tos not Cheese-Puffs.

Soo I am ancy for this Salsa place and it happens. Diego and I venture to El Eslabon Prendido for their live salsa. We pull up and question are we in the right place, when we finally walk in, we know we are. The soul of this place, its coziness, and its phenomenal band just standing on the floor at the front of this crowded bar was AMAZING! A few locals tried to show me a few moves, but I felt more silly than talented.. regardless I went with the flow. This is definitely a place I would recommend for people in Medellin on a Tuesday looking to experience Colombia. There was no pretentiousness, just pure, pure movement. Whew! 


     


I feel soo girly, then there is Diego, lol!

 

And there is the guy I met on my first day in Medellin.


I can't believe today is my last day. I was suppsoed to have ventured for a day trip, but I did not get up early enough according to the lady at the front desk. It sounds like I could be doing too much with a full evening of travel to try and do it tomorrow. sighs.. decisions.

A little history for you. I keep talking about splendid views this and that. Medellin is set up in the Andes, so one of its selling points is the mountains. I have also learned why people here where boots year round. The people call themselves Paisas, which are pretty much Colombian Cowboys and representative of their proudness they have for their country! Ha! 

A better pic of the metro which is fabulous!



No comments:

Post a Comment