Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 19 - Medellin (Hot, Hot Water!)

Sooo I'm up early today (like 6am) to get to the ATM. I am an early riser, but something about last night.. I just did not sleep my best. It could be that I am quasi-paranoid now because of people who got bed bugs on the Lost City Trek and people who talked about them in my Hostel in Santa Marta. For the most part, I believe I have done okay (*knocks on wood*). Anywho, I've got on my travel outfit of a pair of pants, tank, and tennis shoes and I head out with my bottle of water. This is significant because what I noticed is that I looked like a local! People thought I was working out and therefore I did a super job of blending in to the ATM. To make it all the more real, I decided to pump my arms back and forth and hold my chin up. I was sooo "serious."

I get back to the hostal and hail a cab.. First he tried to overcharge me and I quickly nipped that, lol.. Then he's trying to communicate something to me. I hear carro, carro, pare or something, then gasolina.. I look at the front and oolly ish.. this fool is on E and no telling how long he has been on it. So I quickly encourage him to go to the gas station, but low and behold, the gas station is mucho carro and he opts to just take me to the airport as is.. uhm wth! Well we made it safe and conversed a wee bit with the help of my Spanglish Dictionary, so I guess I can't complain.

I finally make it to my hostel. It's in such a residential neighborhood. I think most of the people here have maids. The hostel is very cozy and my room is pretty clean.


I tried to get a feel for what's what and decide to head to Exito. That is always an adventure as I try to "translate" the labels to see if it is something I can cook with few ingredients and for cheap at the hostel. So I'm finally set with my goods and head back. In the process, I meet a guy from Texas, and 3 people that live in England (Phil, Min, Tom, and Matt). A very cool bunch of people. We began chatting about places to stay in Colombia and food. I had already made me a juicy sandwich, fresh from the grill... 



 



and they were trying to decide what they were going to get.. so they got pizza which came in a triangle with packets...



...I want to know who's bright idea was this?! Now mind you its packs of Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Think I could get this on the plane? In the process, I am talking to Matt about a satin sleep liner he doesn't plan on using and is willing to sell.. I tried it on, it fit, and I bought it, lol. This should help me feel better about sketchy hostels.



So after eating and for them opening and finishing a bottle of rum, we decide we are going to go out for a bit in Zona Rosa in Parque Lleras (where the nightlife is in the area). We walk around for a bit and look what I see, lol.

..we end up at the G Bar with Live Salsa or Cubano Music.. this band was hot and makes me want to seek out Salsa again but I am working on being overcommitted and need to pick my battles wisely. Who knows..


The guys had Strong Beers - beer, whiskey, tequila, and limon! Yuck!




From there we walked around and decided what was next.. we found Chupitos which is a shot bar. Do we have one of those in the States? If not, we should open one in Alabama, Vegas, Chicago, Atlanta, or somewhere, lol.



We walk some more and end up at Club Red. It was the worst! Maybe because it was 1/2am when we got there. I mean it was drunk folks out the wazoooo. The vibe was who's effin tonight, who's effin tonight. Additionally, it made me grateful for my friends. We walked in and this guy is soo drunk that he's head down on the table in the club, surrounded by broken bottles.. wth?! But I'll leave you with my favorite.. I had somewhat of a flashback.



After all was said and done, I had a late night shower.. Guess what guys.. It had HOT water.. Oh my goodness. Such luxuries I tell ya. I still found myself wearing my shower shoes in the shower. But oh my hot water!

No comments:

Post a Comment