Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 25 - Medellin (Road Trip)

Soo today is my last day in Medellin. I decide for the moment, I've seen all that has to be seen in Medellin on this go around. It's a beautiful, modern city, but I'm ready to partaay! I pack up, do a few run throughs to see how my bags are going to work out, double check which bus, I am going to be taking and then invest a few hours into some Spanish lessons (on my pc). Clearly, I am not being as dedicated as I should be, but when I do, I do! I then go out and try to associate names and words. Somewhere in between, I had some more fried goodness.


Buuutt before I go, I have to try another "highly" recommended place in Medellin. This place serves three things on the menu - Ajiaco(chicken soup), Mondongo, and Cazuela de Frijoles(beans, veggie here). They are only open for lunch and supposed to a favorite. I mean who can go wrong with I cook a pot and once it's gone, it's gone. After a few misguidances by the locals, Diego and I arrive. I decide I am going to have the Ajiaca. They bring out some arepas, sweet milk, guacomole, and capers.. then the soup! I must admit it was mighty tasty. I need to figure out how to make this myself.

                                        







So after some lunch, we head to Juan Valdez for some cafe and some conversation for its a decent day. There was hopes of a pool party on this day, but the rain has washed that idea out (I know, I know, lol). Instead Diego, I, and a few of his friends decided to just chat around. What I can't communicate, I google translate. I must admit, I appreciate being immersed in the language because it can forces you to absorb more.

Soo fast forward to the night, I have what I want to call this nervous energy about taking a night bus to Cali. It's adventurous and nerve-wrecking all at once. I've managed to overmedicate myself on the web about how I shouldn't do this or that and have scared myself shitless. I emailed a few people I found online about their visit and they gave me some tips so I can feel more secure. 

I take a cab to the station, find the Expresso Boliviariana ticket counter and managed to order one ticket. I asked if their was a discuenta for a student and aha.. My ticket went from 46K to 41K. Yaay! Soo I'm sitting in the terminal, watching my bag, avoiding eye contact, and not talking to anyone because I don't want them to OBVIOUSLY know I'ma a foreigner. I figure by now I may be going a bit overboard. I wish I could show you pictures, the terminal was pretty nice and organized. However, I was told to not pull out any electronics and things of the sorts. Maybe I'll be able to take pics on my way to the airport at the end of July!

Anywho, it was an interesting process. You load your bags, find your seat, and wait a sec. Then a staff person comes and does a count and then comes back with his video camera to record all the people on the bus and comes back and does one final count. I ain't mad, it makes me feel a bit safe! The bus is what they said, COLDDDDD it's like the driver turns it down in order to stay awake. I would have stayed up longer and watched the runaway train movie (again) but the Spanish voice-over of Denzel and my lack of Spanish made it not so interesting.The ride is twisty and turny but I manage to sleep okay. 

8.5hrs later, at 5am, I am in Cali. I am learning a bit about the whole travel thing, lol. I walk to the official taxi line someone tries to handle my bag and I quickly move in the other direction and hop in. Everyone is on their hustle here. I am kinda jealous, lol. I find the hostal and I get checked in at Jovita's. I've slept a good bit on the bus, so I just stay up and read. I guess that means today will be a LONGGG day! Cause I am here to partayy!

Randomness. I wonder did I pick these products from the supermercado because they reminded me of home. Soap - Oil of Olay, Toothpaste - Scope? Marketing I tell ya.


No comments:

Post a Comment