Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 11 - Lost City Trek (Day 2)

So the day started with a 7am wake-up and a 8am departure. Breakfast was tasty eggs and bread. I must admit its been a while since I've eaten a whole egg. Does that make me uppidy? 



The plan is to walk for about 4.5 hours today but the hills are not supposed to be as steep. Trust when I say that hour up wasn't nooo joke. It was steep but not as much as yesterday although it was much hotter. I sweat like a pig! Sweat dripped from every inch of my body. I could swipe my face and just see it fall. I believe the description is important so you can imagine yourself here, lol.

Here is a view from base camp 2 early in the morning. It's soo beautiful!











On the way down today's hill, it was much drier than it was the previous day. I thank God for that because I promised had it rained, we would have slipped over the edge into the abyss never to be seen again. I mean this is red mud like you cldn't believe. I posted a pic of it yesterday for your viewing pleasure.

Today's breaks were soo nice. We had fresh oranges and pineapples. Tasty indeed. I've learned that it seems fruit is more refereshing and hydrating then water at times. We were able to take a dip in this natural pool after busting our asses up and down the hills. So I thought the river would allow me to just throw on my flip flops to cross. Well my foot gets stuck between some rocks and I left my foot up and my flip flop got whisked away before I knew what happened. Iono how they saw it but Jose was to his feet saw the shoe, Walter jumped in and saved my flip flop!

After some more walking, we were told we had to walk along this narrow, narrow path across some rocks. Can you say scary?! This was one of those moments where it was like, do not look down or you'll scare yourself out of continuing. I can't explain how very grateful we were to see the top it seemed forever. Pictures from the trek for Day 2, including the cow that would not let us pass, lol. 


 

 


















We met an indigenous tribe along the way. They are known as the Koguis. In order to take pictures, our guide had to give the children and the moms treats. I think today they got candy and Oreos.
 



 

Finally @ the top!


When we arrived, we had this super delicious traditional Colombian soup and rice for lunch. After lunch, we decided to take a dip into the river. Well it was like a mini hurricane. I got in and the current was so strong I was almost swept away but caught a rock and moved over to the "tide" pool where the rapids were none.



Dinner was interesting for me. The majority had the carne (beef) but since I do not eat it, they whipped me up some tuna and seasoning. Considering where we were, I was pretty impressed and grateful! For dessert we had a GOL bar. It was a tasty bar that reminded me of nutty buddy, is it?!, and kit kats.



We spent the remainder of the afternoon playing uno, with each round lasting FO'EVA. It was fun though. Then we continued with the name game until it was dark. In the jungle there is no electricity per se, so when it gets dark, its understood that you go to bed, especially since we had a long day ahead tomorrow.

Did I mention I had a real bath today? It was amazing until I went to bed and it smelled of old socks or maybe a hospital. I thought I was going to die. I swear I thought my mattress was wet but folks think I am crazy. The blanket they gave us smelled funky and I kept saying I should have brought a sheet. I went to sleep in my jacked, long pants, shirt, and socks, lol!




My takeaways today - thank goodness for my group, great guides, and trust my instinct! A sheet would have been nice, lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment