Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 3 - Cartagena (Could I Be Rockin'?)



The day started off the same .. wake up at 8am. Leave the house get to Spanish for 3 hours of intensive study! However, me and the ladies made plans to eat at a place highly regarded here, Crepes and Waffles and we talked about making a trek to there was plans for Crepes and Waffles and a trip to Convento de La Popa, which is supposed to have great views of all of Cartagena.


 










So quick reviews:
Crepes & Waffles - My Spinach, Cheese, and Chicken Queso was not that fabulous, but the Curry Bread Bowl that was ordered was tasty. Now the highlight at this place was the sencilia (aka ice cream). I am not big on sweets, but anyone willing to serve a cone in a malt glass gets my votes! Now we talked about the bus ride the other day. Everyone seems to have their own personality!

















Convento da La Popa - gettign there was more entertaining than being there. Here comes the haggle. Maggie asks how much and he says 40 Mil (40,000 pesos) after using my travel bible (Colombia Lonely Planet, I knew he was getting over). We proceed to walk away and he conveniently says 30 Mil. We could have negotiated down a bit more, but we decided to keep it moving. We get in his cab and I guess he's doing us a courtesy by putting in these makeshift screens to keep the sun out. Well with the sun came the view and everything else. Imagine the netting for a screen door x 2 sitting in each of the back windows. I swore I thought I was in a kidnap taxi, but we did make it safe and sound barely. Since La Popa is on a steep hill, he had to shut everything off so his car had enough juice to make it. I would have taken pictures but remember the kidnap taxi feel.We get to the top, pay to get in and voila! Beautiful. Here are a few pictures to show what I mean. One of the other highlights of this church is that a lot of things are made of pure gold.








Walking through parts of Old Town - Fabulous. The architecture here is breathtaking. The government has done quite a bit to preserve the colonial feel of the walled city/old town. We walked through Neighborhoods like San Diego, Santo Domingo, and arrived at the Plaza de Bolivar. It was very very pretty and tons of people every way you looked. We attempted to visit the Catedral, but we weren't willing to pay what they were charging. I'll just sneak in during mass and have a looksie! Sidebar: shaw you would have loved this chess area that was set up. They were so intense, yet there were still tables waiting for a formidabe opponent!

 

 










The night concluded with some straight antics (for you Dre). #1 - Diego and I were trying to find a place that was willing to show the game. Surprisingly, no one was interested in basketball being on their screens. We find a place and sit down. I feel guilty because I was not hungry, but Diego was famished, lol. He orders his entry and it ends up looking great, but I know it is still too much food. Eventually, I order these uhm *coughs* Creole potatoes.. Thinking they will be some smothered and fried goodness. Do you know these clowns had the audacity to bring me some rusted potatoes, idaho, you know what I am getting at!! I am appalled at this. However, I made ado especially when they brought me this spicy goodness of a salsa or sorts. I was in heaven. Colombians do not do spice, so this was heavenly! #2 - I was trying to catch the last bus home and happened to catch one. It should have taken me 10 minutes to get home, yet it took 30 minutes. I guess the guy figured that he was not going to take one person to the other side of town and his hired sidekick was going to rally up the troops (aka passengers) to load the bus. Now they tried to communicate their plan of action, but soon realized I knew nothing they were speaking of. Now if I spoke the language I am sure they would not have hustled me. I gotz hustled and had to wait for them to take me on their time. Sonofas!



 I had every intention on this being shorter, sorry!


No comments:

Post a Comment