Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 10 - Lost City Trek (Day 1)


Soo today is the big day, the trek begins. I have packed all my items (clothing) for the week in this here zip lock bag.




Sarah and I are waiting in the lobby at 8:15am for our 8:30am shuttle. It strikes 9:00am and we begin to wonder if we've been left. So we ask the staff at the front desk and they tell us our transportation will be no where in site until at least 9:30am/10:00am. Dagnabbit, another early rise for a late start. Anywho, the chiva arrives and its packed already, lol. So it looks like there will be 11 of us in the group, how exciting and cramped! My knees are gonna feel it!

 

 

So the ride to the start of the trek is 2 hours. The first hour is on a paved road and the second is on what we here a "bumpy road". Now on the way, the chiva has to make a gas stop. We stop at a storefront, connected to someone's house for gas. It was a strange establishment, see below. On top of that they wanted to charge to use the potty. Boo @ that!

 

Soo begins the bumpy ride during the 2nd hour of the bumpy ride. I soon learned I was not secured properly and the cage flew open and I thought I was gonna fallout, but I managed to get it closed the right way. So we arrive at the top and I believe that we were to have lunch and rest. HAAAAAAAA - they politely told me we had some 4 hours of hiking to do.

 




But before we get to that.. I was skeptical when they brought out these rolls, meat, and cheese for lunch. I was proven wrong.. My veggie sammich was delicious. I had 1.5 of em with this Golf Sauce.. Bon Appetit!
















Getting ready for to officially leave for the trek!
 

Guys as beautiful as this walk was - it was hard as shyt. I wanted to shoot myself about 20 minutes into the straight UP incline in the mud!! I think we ascended about 1 - 1.5hrs. I couldn't catch my breath to save my life and I had to stop a lot. I kept saying, my shoes are all wrong, maybe my bag is to heavy. Shyttt! I mean I am saying this as I look around and people gliding up the mountain with their light packs! Clearly, I am a rookie in this space. My favorite is how I decided to keep on my water shoes and try to descend for an hour in the mud. I did a split slide down in some red mud, but was saved by one of my group mates! Yaay to Paul. Not two hours before that I slipped and busted my toosh on a river/rock crossing. Aye-yi-yi!

 

This here is Walter! I told him I was learning Spanish and he was soo patient with me!















A MUCH needed break and we are not even half way up this hill!


Views of the wretched incline and decline. It was such such a beast!





A views from up above.


 

So we arrive at Base Camp 1 and we have the option of jumping in the river on the other side of camp.. Soo I decided to jump in what was this icey cold water and did a hoe-bath, splish splash kinda thing. Guess I can consider myself clean, no?

Dinner was amazing tonight. Chicken and rice and something. They also have this hot sauce with every meal. I'll take a pic next time I see it.. WONDERFUL! So mind you our chef Ismael is the bomb who makes hella meals using a pot a wood fire and some seasonings.



So the 11 ppl on my trip are Paul, Malena, Sarah, Jasmin, Chris, Natalie, Ben, Doreen, Carmen, Matt and myself. They represent Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, US, and Mexico. Amazing group of individuals from all over. Oh did I mention we have all non-English speaking tour guides, but a few people on the trip speak Spanish, so that helps. They were Walter, Jose, and Ismael. And they are the bomb so far!




Here is where we slept at, but it was super uncomfy and HOT under the mosquito net. Now add this on top of long sleeves, long pants, and tall socks to keep the skeeters out! Did I also mention the hammock was uncomfy?


So my takeaways for today:
1. There has been nothing I've seen compared to the views I saw today, pictures do not truly do it justice. It was God's untampered country. I don't really know how to put it into words, but amazing it was.
2. What the hell was I thinking to sign myself up for this? This is only Day 1 of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment