Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 5 - Cartagena (Poor Unfortunate Chicken)

So after class and armed with my Lonely Planet Guidebook (<- is it one word or two?! lol) I head off to one of the recommendations for lunch, La Mulata. Not sure what it means, so don't try and ask me to translate. The book mentioned that they have a set lunch, commedia corriente, for a fixed price, so I figured it would be worth a shot. I walked down the wrong street, but was able to ask this Senora, Dondre es La Mulata? After that I did not understand what she said, but her hand gestures were the best.. like she was an Umpire in her former day! It was something like go back 1, turn over 1, go up one. Either way they worked like a charm!










I arrived at the restaurant, with my Spanish-English Dictionary, fresh Spanish Classes, and Spanish for Dummies, ready to order. Before I could sit down good and "prepare" the woman comes up and asks me if I wanted some soup.. I heard carne, but I said no carne, no carne. Clearly, what I had intended and what she interpreted were two different things and out comes this..




One of the waiters there who looked like he stepped out of an Spanglish movie. Bronzed skin, dark hair, very handsome, lol.. came over and asked me what I wanted.. I managed to ask about their commedia corriente. Then he switches to English.  I asked myself.. am I that bad?! lmao! Either way, I ordered this dish that was magnificent! It was refreshing, fresh, and did not taste as oniony as I thought it would taste. Porsche, I picked out all the mushrooms, lol. You would have loved them. Demeeka, you the shrimp and rice! Anywho, I look around and I notice that there are some people who have soom that is not this dark color. I try again. Disculpe Senorita... Quiero sopa pollo or something broken like that. She gets it, she gets it! It wasn't great, but it got me the right soup and it was worth it. Muy Bien!


 

Afterwards, I decide that I want to head to the Plaza that has the Convento & Iglesia de San Pedro Claver and the Museo de Arte Moderno. Along the way was some cool pics and art worth sharing. While I Was waiting on the Museum to reopen I sat in front of the San Pedro Claver Iglesia and watched people further the greedy animal, humans what you got cause. AKA feeding the darn pigeons.
 




BEFORE














A few pics from the museum. Did I mention this was a lackluster museum? If not, it was.

 

SCARY NO?!



 

While in the museum I met a girl from Switzerland and we got to chatting it up. Her friend was sick so we were both alone and decided to walk the city. I showed her where I watched the sunset and mentioned her friend and her should come back! We continued to walk through the city..sweating profusely may I add, and decide some ice cream would be delicious. We received a recommendation! Another hit! It was an Italian Gelato Place, Gelateria Paridiso. It was heavenly and refreshing.

 















The sun is beating down on us and we decided to part ways until dinner time. Now this was adventurous beyond adventure, La Coroncoro. Yall know how I gets about my food items. We go to the place that I will call authentic, authentic. I later learned it was recommended in the guidebook, but we noticed that people would walk up and then walk away. We walk around and then end up back at this place.

 




Sidebar: Did I mention that Colombians have a different definition of time? I have yet to get out of a restaurant in under an 1hr when it comes to dinner. Back to the action: It took dinner like 1hr to come out and mind you it was no gourmet.. Then again, maybe it was.. It was two hardworking women working in the kitchen! I ordered the sopa de arroz (soup with rice, chicken soup my choice). I figured they had caught my chicken, skinned it, and dipped it in some hot water. Who would have know I would be so close to right. All this text does not do it justice, lol. Have a look.
















I promise it wasn't until I kept taking spoonfuls and going ptttt pttt (that what is this boney like thing) that I realized the whole chicken was in there.. looking at me. Poor unfortunate chicken. Now since the girl had a weak stomach as I begin to picking stuff out, I covered it with a thin napkin. It really became something out of a scary movie.

Now the soup was delicious and clearly they spared no expense, or parts of the chicken, in making it. Surprisingly it was only $3800 COP. Impressive for something soo authentic. I can't joke about any other food and where it comes from. One of the girls ordered the Fish Soup. [pregnant pause]. Yep, it had the entire fish includings its scales and the tail. The other girl ordered chicken and rice and it was pretty darn tasty!

















To compliment this very tasty less the whole chicken including its fingers, was this funny green substance that I was hesitant to taste and after tasting it, opted for a Cerveza.


















To add insult to this authenticness, I almost died of heat stroke in this restaurant. I mean new definition of hot.

The evening concluded with me finding a place to watch the game. And a great game it was. This is how a finals should be! As I was watching the game the English girls came in and told me they were going to a bar up the street. I met them, laughed for a bit. Listened to this awful karaoke (I posted about the live band earlier). He decided to cover Elvis last night. It was terrible! As the night progressed, the Salsa had come into play. It was nice seeing people having a good time. I got sleepy before they started and was on my way back. But, ended up visiting a club in the Old Town, Tu Candela. Super nice spot, but I take it that Thursdays are not necessarily a busy night in Cartagena.

The highlight of it all was the scores of prostitutes in the club and outside. They were getting it in. It was funny and disgusting all in one. I'll try and capture some pictures tonight.. To be continued (next time with less context)!



No comments:

Post a Comment