Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 13 - Lost City Trek (Day 4)

Soo as the pattern has it, the day starts even earlier. 5:30am because we want to hit the trail by 6:30am to make sure we can enjoy the day and miss the rain on the way up. Day 4 poses an interesting challenge. We are about .8km from the lost city but its supposed to take an hour or so to arrive. Ohh but we had empanadas for breakfast. I need to add that to my learn how to make list!


Me and the girls gearing up!


Back to the trek, lol. In order to just reach the stairs to get to the lost city, we have to do yet another river crossing, lol. 



Soo we finally get to the lost city and the kicker is that it's 1200 steps, which are not really steps to the first part of the old city and then another 400 or so to get to the most visited area. Let's just say my legs were kicking my ass. Soo less talk and lots of pics!


 






This stone was supposed to represent a map of the lost city.
 
My group at the top!!
 

 



A celebratory flash from one of the highest points for this part of the Lost City, lol.



The protectors of the Lost City. In 2003, 8 tourists were kidnapped and so ever since, the Colombian Army has been present until people's confidence has been restored.


So after we visit the lost city, the even more fun part begins. We do double duty. We have to walk back from the Lost City and to Base Camp 2, so in total we will have hiked about 6 - 7 hours today. Can you say I was beyond estatic when we arrived?! We were fortunate to miss the rain yet again. He is looking out for us and I sure appreciate it. Dinner.. Did I mention I am soo over carb-loaded meals? 


My takeaway.. a feeling of accomplishment and a dread to go back. I could sure use some moleskin or blister protection. My feet are going to howl like a wolf at a full moon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment