Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 12 - Lost City Trek (Day 3)

Sooo we started the day earlier than the previous day. The wake-up calls were set for 6am with a 7am departure. Walter told us today wld be no easy day and at least 4hrs of walking. He stressed it would be the most dangerous part of our trek. Why did he tell us that?! lol.

Butt the day started with grilled cheese sammiches for breakfast that were muy bien and we were off. Oh the beauty of today was that I was able to leave some of the items I wouldn't need for the next couple of nights. In this here jungle, we only got an ounce of sun and the humidity was sooo high our clothes never dried.


Before the trek.. some candid shots with my trek mate, Paul, and Walter

 
One of the adventures for today was that we were supposed to cross one of the most raging rivers and I don't mean that to be cute. Depending on how strong the current is determines if you pass it through the river or over it. Because it was one of those days, we took the crinky trolly thing over the river. It was a bit uhm different than anything I've done. Then again, this trek is beyond anything I've ever done. Seeee.. lol.









The same routine, up hill, down hill, huffin and puffin, up, up, down, down. One of the indigenous boys made it look easy while he walked his pet pig/boar.


The higher we got, the more pristine the views.
 


 
















Today we crossed a ton of small rivers and I think waded through one or two. But we walked up and down this rock/waterfall trail. I really was like what the hell am I doing?! One slip and I'm done. There is nothing to grab on too! Here are a few pictures of the rivers, rocks, and other things we had to cross to get to base camp 3.

 

 
My friend who was attracted to my sweat, lol.

 


Base Camp 3. Soo close to the home stretch of the lost city. I can feel it, lol.


We got to camp just in time the place virtually flooded. I mean it went from no rain to crazy rain. I did not have my camera to catch pictures.. so I'll try to paint a picture. When we arrived there was a river and a small waterfall. There were rocks in this river and people were swimming and the rocks were visible. When this rain came down it was like a monsoon. The river that was clear became dark with mud. The tame waterfall was wide open like a geyser. The place was flooding so that everyone who worked there begin digging rocks to create a new path to allow the water to runoff.. Plain crazy!

The highlight though was they made us popcorn and it was sooo tasty! Our first snack was some saltines.. I was tickled because I was like who serves crackers, plain ones, for a snack! For lunch we had some tasty sphagetti. Dinner was rice, beans, tuna for me since I don't eat beef or sausage. Oh if you haven't noticed, our meals are soo carb heavy.. I guess because they don't spoil, lol.


Blackout at this place was crazy too. This time we had to be in bed by 6pm.. Our sleeping accomodations were beds with nets but it was 5 beds and 6 ppl. It smelled as well and I was dressed in usual attire.. My jacked with hood, socks tucked in long pants, and a long sleeve shirt. That was the one thing I got right when packing. In the bed, we found a centipede under the mattress..eww! There were also a few bugs in the dayum net, no matter.. I was protected for the most part.



I'll leave this pictures as my takeaways.. it says.. there must be a better way! What am I thinking, lol. What you are looking at is what we walked up and down of sorts.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment