Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 1 - Cartagena (First Night Out)

Guys & Gals, we talked about me roughing it, but who would have thought I would have gone all out. I finally communicate that I need to get to Hostel Media Luna and I check in. They take me to my room and I'm like okay. See pics for "more color" of the next descriptions..


I go into the room and I have the option of the top BUNK.. yes you read right.. BUNK. So I am trying to figure out how to get me and my luggage up there and one of the habitants a guy from Russia offers to help me. What's funny about this is that he does not speak good English and does not speak Spanish. I thought I was bad off, but he was soo nice. So I choose the bed that allows me to create a closet of sorts for my luggage and then I look around and notice the packings of all guys. Don't get me wrong I know it's safe, but I am just saying. Then it hits me.. I paid for a room with a banos (bathroom). I go back to the front desk who I am sure by now has had their fill and ask where is the bathroom and why isn't it in the room. He goes ohh he didn't know I paid for such a room. Since I had got my stuff on the bed, I said well let me look at the public accommodations and quickly asked to be changed. It went beyond roughing it.

When I was moved, I got a nice room wit bathroom and two girls. Yaay. They are from South Carolina and are teaching English and Art in Bogota.






So one of my classmates is down here and our trip overlaps for the most part in the major cities. He meets me at the hostel and we are off to get some grub! Little did I know my first meal would have been the very thing I would swear off before arriving.. Street food. Taquitos, but I can't lie my Pollo Taquito was tasty and I am still living after the fact. IT still won't become habit though (so I say). Delicio! The other guy is a Spanish teacher here in Cartagena, Alejandro. Super nice guy!
















The night continued with antics, too much vodka, and denial into a club. I was denied because I had on slippers AKA flip flops! Looks with scolding eyes at Demeeka and Porsche, hmph!


One of the coolest things I got to do was jump on and off a moving bus. Here was our gatekeeper, lol. They slow down you jump on.. They slow down you jump off! Yaay late night bussing!


Overall, I had a fabulous day and plan to do more exploring in the upcoming days. I'll work on some better pictures for some of things I referenced!


4 comments:

  1. You still got it, just like the original Birmingham days! I am truly inspired by your trek. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg my mouth flew open and my heart dropped until u said u moved in a room with girls. i feel like im watching my favorite soap opera. two thumbs up on the blog. and boo at no flip flops lol..i'm soooo proud of u!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have a camera following you around. You're way more entertaining than Survivor or the Braxtons. Keep up the good work and continue to keep us posted on all your antics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yall make me feel so spesha! Being virtually with me is the coolest thing ever. Next blog from yesterday coming, lol. Kinda behind here, lol.

    LOL @ Dre and D for your references to antics and soap operas. I just want you guys to feel like you are here! I miss you bunches!

    ReplyDelete