Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 4 - Cartagena (Just call me a Brownie)

I was going to skip the morning mundane-ness, but I forgot I did not share the goodness. In my humble abode there is no hot water. Not at first it came as a shock, but considering how humid it is in Cartagena and my room (there is no AC, just a fan), this isn't so bad, lol. My quick dry towel no longer bleeds on me. And I learned that they don't have creamy yogurt, it's all milky liquid. So let me also add that they don't refridgerate their eggs, something about the pasteurization process. So I skip to class drinking my yogurt (*ewww*)

Anywho, after glass I vist the lackluster, Museo Del Oro y Arqueologia (aka The Gold Museum). Ther was not much to see though. It's a collection of gold and pottery of the Sinu people who inhabited parts of present-day Colombia.

 




The adventure begins with a trip to a Colombian buffet. Can you say hilarious? They were so patient with me and all I could communicate was pescado, pollo, no carne. I figured if those requirements were met.. I was sure to be a success. Well the word success is open for interpretation. I had some fish that reminded me of salmon croquettes (bones and all). However the soup and sides were delicious. Have a look.



From there (after a quick rest from the sun), I decided I would go Castillio de San Felope de Barajas. I pack my bag and I am off. Supposedly this is the greatest an strongest forstress ever built by the Spaniards in any of their colonies. This things was massive from a distance and even more massive when you arrived. Now I won't do a lot of talking per se, but I will share that my tripod came in pretty handy! You would have though people were taking pictures for me. I think I even got caught up in the moment. And yes, in my foolishness, I decided to walk through the dungeon tunnels. Spooky but ooo-wee!

 


 

 









 














My next adventure was to get to Cafe del Mar. A place on the old wall and has the best view to watch the sunsets. After a couple of wrong turns and 45 minutes later (what should have been 20 minutes) I arrive at Cafe del Mar. As I was about to sit down, a couple of girls from England, who I met earlier in the week, invited me to come and sit with them! We chatted, had a drink, and watched the sunset.  It was a great way to end the evening. As we left to find dinner, we walked past a church that had a paraplegic Columbian. The descriptives are important. Of course I do not speak basic Spanish, but one of the girls (May) did.. I believe he asked for money or something and we kept walking. He mentioned something about their complexion and called me a brownie. May said, "Well he said it in the nicest/most endearin way." WTH! lol

 



















From their all of us ventured to this place rated highly by TripAdvisor, Australian Fusion Cafe. The portions were huge and tasty!
 















Me and the girls parted ways from here and I retired back to my hostel. On Wednesdays, the hostel is known for having an amazing party on the rooftop. I decided to meet up with Diego and Alejandro. Why I don't know. I get up here and the music is like a fusion of its own - it feels modern, electric, reggaetonish. I am not quite sure how to put it together. I looked around in my super chill mood and noticed a few irreguarities. Two men in front of me decided to chop up, roll, and smoke a joint in front of me, chased with a cigarette. I saw two girls and two locals.. Clearly the girls were smitten and retardedly drunk so there is no telling how this will end. Then their was my favorite... I hate I did not have my camera. There was a DJ Verbal Lyrics or something from California who wanted to spit his lyrics for the crowd. If you threw him any word, he would freestyle to it in Espanol and in Ingles. It really was a classic moment. And I do mean classic. In one of his "freestyles" he rapped about verbs, adjectives, and sina-syna-nyms. Yep folks you read right sina-syna-nyms. I think that was one of his hottest hot. He kept yelling at the DJ to bring that beat back.. bring it back. It was disastrously funny.

Ahh yes.. couldn't think of a better way to go to bed! Party was wack but I plan to see what Cartagena is about from Thursday/Friday - Sunday before I leave. I am doing a party bus on Friday whoo-wee!

Oh. Porsche - this is for you.. I wanted to see if they were hiring.. You would have be/been awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment