Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 23 - Medellin (When in Colombia..)

Today was an absolutely beautiful day and yet I did not have much to do considering most places were closed for the Colombian holiday that no one, including Colombians know what it is for. I have also changed hostels for the 3rd time. I had to downgrade from luxury. Too early in the game to be getting caught up in the good life, lol. I moved from 25K to 18K with two less people sleeping in the room. I chose the top bunk, but after a few climbs, I am like wth! That's my bed on the top in the second pic.


I also took pics of the bathroom. I have come to learn this is the real deal breaker. I can deal with a lot, especially with the purchase of my new satin sleeping bag, but a dirty bathroom.. hmmm. This one is quite clean!



I purposely took a picture of the floor. Hostels would come out soo much better if they steered clear of white floors. If you aren't going to constantly clean it.. then we know its dirty. I am all about illusion.













I like the Tiger Paw hostel less the Auburn and Clemson feel. The kitchen could be a tad bit betterbut its a great bang for the buck. I am super resourceful and made it work with a half pot, a real pot, and a plate that doubled as a cutting board. Bon Appetit!



Soo I finally get stirring have not done any Spanish like I promised myself and instead opt to see Diego's Medellin digs. They lend itself to a peaceful AND hard walk up a never ending hill. The views are stunning though!

 


Soo Diego and I decided to head out for an early dinner while we tried to figure out how to take advantage of this gorgeous but holiday-day. We walked around Parque Lleras and we opted for this spot. It was fabulous and plentiful!



I'll have to figure out quick how to make this rice. It was delicious!! Like a sweet brown something I can't put my finger on it. The dressing was also great on this salad. It's my first salad since I've been in Colombia and it reminded me how much I miss it so.




After dinner, we still had no plans and did what the Colombians in the area do. Sit outside and have coffee/hot chocalate at the Starbucks of South America, Juan Valdez.






It was a good day, not very productive, but kinda. I did not mention, I finally finished Bram Stroker's Dracula. Let me say.. HATED IT! I've started reading the Help. It's a page turner and interesting at the moment. I'm counting down the days to Cali. I hope to find some people who are open to some Salsa nights. But I'm taking it one day at a time, including the do-nothing days.. you know I'm a busy-body.

No comments:

Post a Comment