Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 35 - Salento (A Taste of India)

Sooo today was a great day and a sad day.. Let's go from great to not so great! I figured out to get the microphone on my computer to work! Now this is a huge accomplishment because it allows me to talk into any Spanish software that I come across. This helped drastically with my pronounciations, which are *holds head down* awful. I started bright and early with my lesson. 

I got the warm and fuzzy feeling when people were trying to help me get the words right. I think it was nice for them to see I was trying very hard to learn and the backpackers that are fluent were all too happy to help me, while snickering on the side. No matter, I got through the lesson!

The second highlight was lunch and plaintains! For lunch, I had an avocado salad, with onions, tomatoes, fresh lime juice. The significance of this line is that these are things I would not have quite envisioned before coming to Colombia. In Salento, the meat from the supermarket does not look that fab and I did not want pasta, so voila.. a veggie salad without the traditional lettuce. Then the fried plaintain chips. It went from I'll just eat half the banana to the whole thing. It was delicious and temporarily satisfied my sweet tooth. 
The third highlight was a Taste of India. Some of the backpackers offered to make curried chicken and rice. Boy it was delicious, lol. And all made for $5000 pesos. Talk about a meal. And the ingredients seemed so simple. She told me if I got the paste right then I could add anything to it from fish to shrimp to whatever and whip up a great meal. She said in order to make the paste, the tomatoes have to evaporate, so to speak. Who would have thought.. But I am gonna try it. The ingredients: tomatoes, potatoes, ground coriander, ginger, garlic, cumin, pepper/salt, actual peppers?, onions, and something else.. but I can google this at a minimum.

Our dear chefs/hosts...

Set up everything soo pretty...
And topped off with a simple flower and it's leaves. I have got to try this at home.
 


And made a great meal...



What a great day of not real business... I am determined to play this Tejo game.. Maybe tomorrow.

The sad.. I am finally out of peanut butter. I made it last about a month.. It was a little taste of the states and made everyone's eyes bigs when they saw it. Nothing like some Jiff.. It made everything from crackers to bread taste fabulous.

I still can't believe I have been here almost a week. I am in the process of planning the next week. Some girls I met told me about some Thermal Springs in Santa Rosa.. Sounds like I might have to tip-toe on over! 2 weeks left as of today. Boy, where has the time gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment