Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 41 - Guatepe-ish (Daño. Como? Daño, Ooooo)

I don't remember if I shared this earlier, but part of the reason that today was so important that I left early today, was because I was supposed to me a friend I met in Santa Marta (almost a month ago) in Medellin, so we could bus over together to Guatepe. I heard the bus ride from Manizales to Medellin was supposed to take 4 hours, but it could take anywhere from 4hrs to 6hrs. Then, once you get to Medellin, you have to transfer a few times and then catch the bus to Guatepe, which takes another 2 hours give or take. It has been completely rainy for the last couple of days and so that can affect the roads. I NEED to have plenty of time.

My plan was set, I had packed everything I needed for the morning in my book bag and completely packed my backpack so all I had to do was grab it in the morning. This was all to NOT repeat the incident from yesterday, which I failed to report on. 

So let's flashback: This particular disturbance was the only time I almost cussed since I have been here. It started with one gentlemen who was planning on doing a trek and he needed to be ready by 6am. Soo, he got up and was soo loud. Unpacking, repacking, zipping, bumping into things, cracking the blings so he could see, etc at like 5-something in the morning. WTH! Okay fine, I go back to sleep. It's probably 7am and this older gentleman thought it was okay to COMPLETLY open the blinds. I looked at him and I said, well dayum, you just gonna tell me to get up now aren't you? He says that he couldn't find his glasses and blah blah. I said, well 
its early and you had no consideration for anyone else in this room. He gestures to close them back, but I'm up now do not worry about it now. MF!

Okay back to today. I am set, I am out of the hostel by 6am and on the cable shortly thereafter. I whip out my handy Spanish For Dummies and learn the phrase of the day: "A que hora sale el bus para [destination]." This translates to What times does the bus for whatever leave. IT was a GREAT phrase to learn for today. I got all the information I needed. Anything after that, nada. I did that, plus asking a few prices and I was set. I found a kind of super shuttle transportation that had 7 passengers and zips you right to said city. We are making good time, zipping around slow trucks, not having to pick up other passengers. Oh this is gravy, we are making good time.

About 45 minutes into our journey we pull over. I am thinking that this must be an early break, I'll just wait on the bus. The driver communicates something and everyone gets out of the van. I insist that I'll just wait until we are ready. He is trying his hardest to communicate something and I just don't get it, so I get off. We are standing a while and I decide to ask the gentleman next to me (after I prefaced my limited Spanish) and ask was there a problemo with the carro or something of the sorts. He said daño and I said, what (como)? Baño, he says no Daño. Still for me no entiendo (I don't understand). Then he starts making a Daa, Daa sound. I said ohhhhh daño and open my spanish-english dictionary. Daño means damaged. The dayum van done broke down. Sonofabish!



So 45 minutes later, a big bus comes and scoops us and we are off. Traffic is horrendous, the bus isn't as mobile, but we finally arrive in Medellin.. The grand total 5.5 hours. Okay fine, the bus made a stop and I noticed the metro, I decide to hop off and hop on the metro. I know it will take me to my station for the other bus terminal. Little did I know, I was on the other side of Medellin, lol. It took about 35 minutes to get to where I needed all while maneuvering my bags on the subway.. Lovely!

I am ALMOST there, this is the home stretch. I get to the bus station and I am looking for my friend. I am here when I said I would be.. I emailed her to tell her where I would be and that I would leave if I did not see her at said time. I didn't see her, so I left as we had planned. I get on the bus and of course, 1hr 40 minutes turned into 2hrs or sorts. It was raining and I am like did I come to the lake for this? But I look around and its beautiful. 

I unload my stuff, chat with the owners about food places and try to wait for my friend to no avail. I decide to head into town to do a bit of grocery shopping for dinner. He recommended this fish called Ropalo at some said market, it is supposed to be a great white fish. Soo I suit up, since its raining and head out. Even though the skies are grey, I can tell this is a great little town to spend a few days and I can't wait.




I pick up everything I need and on my way back, I see my friend! Oh double yaay! We chat for a sec and we realized that she never got any of my messages. Checked my faulty blackberry and there they were never sent. She said she waited for me until 3pm :-(. Well we are reunited and catching up! We had a fabulous dinner of fish with veggies and rice.. 
and some hot chocolate with cinnamon. We chatted and chatted some more, it was great to hear about the excitement of her travels and share mine with her, but I am BEAT and heading to bed! We are climbing the infamous rock of El Penol tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment