Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 39 - Santa Rosa (Bake and Bake)

I am not quite sure if today’s day trip is blog worthy, but oh well. The forecast for Manizales, Santa Rosa, and all of Colombia was not on my side. It said that it was supposed to rain today and tomorrow, so considering I only have 2 days left, I might as well go today, although, I was tempted to not go. Who wants to sit outside IN THE RAIN? 

I get up early, have some breakfast, which may I add was tasty. The cook at the hostel makes her eggs with tomatoes and onions and serves this fresh and soft bread, yummy! But uhm, I don’t wanna see any eggs for like a month. I’ve had them every day for almost 2 weeks straight.

My plan is to get to Santa Rosa before 10am so I can catch the “shared” transportation to the Termales (thermal springs). So let’s put this into perspective. You have to take the metro cable to the bus station, buy a bus ticket, and get to Santa Rosa (expected time 1.5hrs) then take a Chiva to the termales (expected time 30 minutes).. 

When I arrived at the terminal, the craziest thing happened. A lady stopped me and asked if (in Spanish) if I got my passport. She was soo genuinely concerned and elated when I told her that I had gotten it. I mean little ole me. Who would have thought so many people were concerned. It touched my heart she cared enough to see if I was okay. Did I mention I have met some of the nicest people here?

Anywho, the ride to Santa Rosa actually took 1.5 hours and the man did not drop me in the right place. I missed the chiva for 10am (but I’ll take partial responsibility). I asked around and found the next one did not leave until 12noon. It’s 10:30am.. *sighs* I walk around and this town is super sketch. It’s like an old man convention. They just congregate around corners and billiards. 

I am saying to myself.. it’s Wednesday, why you ain’t working, lol.  The only thing really nice in the city is the church. 














I decided to read a bit and enjoy its stillness. 

I head back to the plaza and see the chiva.  It arrived at 11:30am and I had some small talk with the driver. He was soo very nice and was telling me I could sit on the bus but it would not leave until 12pm. I opted to stand outside and take some photos. Now for a second I thought I was going to get arrested. I was taking pictures and I guess I took a picture of something I was not supposed to. He asked where I was from and then they whispered Americana.. I figured I was NOT suppose to take any photos and promptly began erasing them and showing them they were all gone. Man I ran to that Chiva and got on with the quickness.

The chiva  departed promptly at 12pm. This ride turns out to be 45 minutes. By now, I should know that time is not time in Colombia although I was quite surprised that the chiva leaves right when it says it will leave.  


I am at the Termales. Okay, I say to myself.. I have never experienced Hot Springs and have NO way to gauge this. In the process, I meet Jose from Spain. We start chatting and figure we’ll navigate the springs together. The landscape and the views are beautiful. 



The views are just as the internet and people’s blogs alluded to. The waterfall is massive and flowing especially from all the rain. 
We get changed and head out. This place is well kept, less the plastic chairs..


MAAANNN when I tell you this water was like 80 degrees Fahrenheit. All I could say is bake and bake. I am soo loving this and the rain that I thought would be a factor so was not. My skin loved this experience. Whew.. I navigated from pool to pool. 





I wanted a picture of me and the waterfall, so I scurried over and asked a girl to take my photo. Come to find out her and her family were from Vegas. I meant to get their information. Mom works in Luxor and Dad in the Bellagio. He said he would show me the ropes. Darn! 



They then convinced me I should get in the cold, cold gushing waterfall. I refused for a sec, then did it. It was FREEZING! I hurried over to the warmth with the quickness..



I saw these and thought they were the greatest. Reminded me of my first week of graduate school where we painted park benches.
Soo summary:  I had a fabulous experience. 3 – 4 hours is more than enough time to sizzle. It’s worth considering to stay the day. Although it was complicated getting their and back, I am glad I went.

On the chiva back was my favorite sighting.. Whenever I see a cow, I always see a small duck. Not sure the relationship, but it’s always so cute. I wish I could be a butterfly on the grass to hear the conversation.
I FINALLY get back to the hostel and there are a ton of people who have come in. They are NOT very social and keep to themselves. I believe they may have been Colombia which I said in an earlier post they mostly keep to themselves. To my surprise, the front desk lady seemed to have some of her family members in the hostel. Iono.. This place is something. I cannot put my finger on it to save my life. It doesn’t feel social in the slightest and the staff always seems like they are sneaking around. I am considering changing, but I like the convenience to get to the bus terminal for early morning Friday. We’ll see. As of right now, I am BEAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment