Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 26 - Cali (Salsa Capital of Colombia)

Just not sure where to start today! It felt like 3 in one. An overnight bus that took 8 hours, not really sleeping upon arrival to the hostel, out all day, and out all night!

The early part of the day was more of a meet and great as well as taking care of a few miscellaneous items (READ: Trip to the grocery store, yaay). The people I've met here are so friendly and personable. The hostel, despite its shortcomings, is great. Welll let's back up to shortcomings. I've never been in a room stacked with triple bunk beds. I am sure its used to manage costs, but who would have thought. Also, since they are made of a wood, they are a bit sturdy. Impressive! I can't find the pics, but I'll be sure to post them later. Here are a few pics of the hostel though (ohh Jovita's). There is also a mini-gym, which deserves a good laugh and a well-stocked kitchen. I like the kitchen because it has most utensils you need to make a meal. I cringe because it is wayy nastier than a kitchen should be. i.e. dirty dishes in the sink, food plates left around, etc. I love the park bench that every congregates around for meals and evening chatter. Everyone here has been super friendly.


 

This is the fiyah mini gym.


Quite a few of us ended up discussing what would be good to see and decided on the Zoo. I am not normally a zoo person, but this one has received outstanding reviews and soo I was like okay! 

BUTTT necesary sidebar: One of the draws of this hostel is that it has free yoga and salsa lessons. Soo today there was a salsa lesson @ noon. I am like oh great maybe I can learn a thing or five. I walk in, freshly showered mind you, and I am ready. There are about 20 people that pile into this room.I'm expecting one, two, three *pause* one, two, three* But noooo, we did some stretching to warm up and BAAAM routines. This is a salsa zumba class and I find my self sweating like there is no tomorrow. No way I signed up for this. I can't take these dance routines into the salsa party expecting to wow anyone. Oh well, it was a lot of fun!



Back to the zoo: Mind you those quite a few, turned into me and Sol, A English born, Barbados residing backpacker. Guys the zoo was fantastic. They had every kind of animal you could envision and you could tell that the zoo was well kept. They get 5 stars in my opinion, although my opinion really does not count, lol.


This is a blind fish!




I swear this thing was looking at me. Had me kinda spooked.

Oh look an ostrich!

Call me batman!



MUFASAAAAAA

If you look really closely, you'll see the iguana trying to take over the llamas.


Sol and I hopping around!
 

Soo everyone's at the table talking about the hot spot tonight is Tin Tin Deo for Salsa and just about everyone at the hostel is talking about going. That's one plus about this hostel, literally everyone is down to hang out, get out, chill out, party all night. At least that's what I gathered from my interactions and their stories of their previous nights here. In an effort to preparty we make a rainy trip to get some BOXED wine.. whoop-whoop.





All the ladies who are going out!

Soo we get to Tin Tin's at around 10ish and there is a good bit of people here ready to partay! welllll let me tell you, I was in the professional's den or something. I do not know the basics, but I refuse to take my basics out amongst the hurricane and cyclone dancers. Whew! These people were AMAZING. You could tell this was not their first time in the rodeo. A few people tried to show me some basics and then there was the Venezuelian. This guy was plum drunk, but I was flattered at what I could make out, he told me I was purdy! But clearly something was wrong when the dance turned more into like a grind of sorts with him trying to kiss my neck TWICE. Ewwww! Either way, It was good fun. Other interesting thing about this place is that it closes at 1am and trust me when I said they were not playing.






This girl was effin amazing. 

This was waaay cool. A Cali line dance. And EVERYONE was on the dance floor.






Soo half the crew wants to continue and the other half wants to retire. There is a strip of bars in a barrio called Manga that closes at the wee hours. We went to this place, some people ordered a beer, lol, and we listened and danced to some cross-over (reggaeton, salsa, merengue, and some rockish). 

It's 3am and I am beat. I think I have almost been up 24 hours! Yowza.


No comments:

Post a Comment