Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 44 - Guatepe (Nothingness)

I woke up today focused. I was going to do a lesson or two of Spanish, a little reading, and then "relax." HA! The end result was that what I did resembled ABSOLUTELY nothing similar to that.  I decided to have a bit of breakfast and then started tapping, tapping, tapping on my keyboard while enjoying this view from the balcony.

You can see the kayakers in the above picture.. I missed the super swimmers. From my understanding, a lot of people come to Guatepe to train for different triathlons, competitive sports, etc. The 2011 ITC Triathlon World Cup is to be held here in November. 

I am just super fancy this morning.. 
I've enjoyed a few cups of tea since I've been here. I am soo not a drinker of tea, but I liked this Hindu Tea. It was like a mild something with no herbal anythings. I can't describe it, but if any of you have any recommendations of things I should try along these lines, please let me know! 

So that thing we talked about yesterday came into fruition. I burned the SHYT outta my legs. They are peeling and quasi scaly looking, lol. Dayum this proximity to the equator.
Soo you know every hostel I stay in I share the good and the not so good with you. Well I stayed at Lakeview Hostel, one of 2 hostels in this lake town. The location, price, and people are great. The owners, Nick and Greg, are very friendly and definitely get it in with the best of them. I tried to take a snapshot of their running tally of beverages. 
In all fairness, I am not sure over what period of time this is, lol. I just know one line read 216 followed by a plus sign and a bunch more tally marks. It wouldn't surprise me how many they made from day to day. I saw them throw back a shyt load. But as I said, they were super friendly and helpful and the location of the hostel overlooking the lake was amazing. 

Butt.. let's talk about these beds and this bathroom. Starting with the former. These were the worst beds I have ever experienced. I changed beds 3 times until one was sufficient enough to sleep in. I felt like Dorothy and the 3 Bears. One was too hard, one too soft, one too noisy. The one I ended up in.. It was not made for the faint hearted. It ROCKED as if it wanted to collapse everytime I tried to get in. I know the smart thing would have been to pick another bed, but like I said.. this one was the "winner." It got to a point where you may as well have called me tarzan. I found myself climbing on a dresser to get into the bed because I refused to use the "ladder." Let's pause for a sec, so you can take a look.



Now my bed is the one with the blue thing and orange towel hanging off the bed. After the second night, I heard a crack and it was the wood. I told the management and he kinda wrote it off. After another night.. CrrrAck..
Now this is some absolute bullshyt if I ever saw something myself. I told him once again that there was a problem. I still don't believe they did anything and the volunteers took care of it. Now let's move on to the claustrophobic bathroom. This bathroom was SOO small. Everytime you turned, I promised you touched something. It freaked me out something serious.

These are what the water heaters look like when they use this voltage thing. It's kinda scary and I always hope I don't get electrocuted. At least this place had water pressure, but it was not as hot as I would have hoped.


Moving along... I have had the late night munchies. So the highlight of my evening were these bread things I got from the little tienda across the bridge. It's like mini-rolls I ate toasted.. 















of course with another soup I whipped up. I mean I clearly can't get enough. It's one of the easiest things to make with the ingredients I have. I don't want to stock up on too much stuff since I only have a week left. I think I may be suffering from a bit of homesickness. I have been craving things that are clearly domestic.. peanut butter, queso cheese, chicken noodle soup bowls from Surin West, Shrimp Chimichangas from Los Juanes, and of course a frozen drink from Fat Tuesday!

Oh well. I am going to try and stay in the moment, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment