Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 32 - Salento (A Day of Nothingness)

Dear Journal, I am trying to learn to enjoy the idea of doing nothing. I am such a busy body and sitting still for a long period of time will be quite the challenge for me, lol!

I kid, but no seriously, lol. I was going to head out to a coffee plantation today with another group, but I had a meeting with the management of the hostel to see about volunteering opportunities. I figure if I am going to be here a while, let's see where I can be of some use. In the interim, a group of us did our daily trek into town to pass time and went to the infamous Jesus for coffee (in my case hot chocolate w/ 1 pack of sugar, lol). I then headed over to Lucy's, a popular lunchtime spot that runs out of food by 2pm, which has a menu del dia for only 6,000 pesos and guys let me tell you it was fabulous. I had veggie soup, trout, rice, bananas, some fried veggies, and a few other things. I forgot my camera today, but I'll be back with pictures!


Sooo I am all set to volunteer through next week. It's 5pm - 10pm during the week and most of the day on the weekends. The cool thing is that you can split shifts with other volunteers. It's a genius idea that the hostel has created. They have built volunteers into their business plans and they do all the helping to keep staff at a minimum and allow them to have weekends off. Maybe, I mean I will, force myself to get through some heavy duty spanish! 

The exciting thing for tonight though was it was Mexican night. Oh my, the setting was nice and the food was divine! They made this salsa of mango, onion, tomatoes, pepper, olive oil, cilantro, and lime juice.. I wrote the ingredients on purpose. I must try to recreate it.






It was a great turnout for dinner. It was nice to have everyone sitting around like a family having a meal, laughing and chatting. After dinner, I helped with dishes and worked through my shift (10pm) then I called it a night. I have to get up early to go and try to milk some cows. Ooo-wee!

No comments:

Post a Comment