Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 30 - Salento (An AA Cowgirl in Colombia?)

Soo after a good "nap", I remember that I have committed to the most uhm unexplainable thing ever out of my comfort zone.. Horseback riding.. Now I have done plenty'a foolish thing since I've been here, but my thought is aww lawd, am I really signing up for this IN a foreign country where I don't speak the language.

Before the horses come, I decide to take some pictures of the hostel, La Serrano. It is such a gorgeous eco-hostel/farm. The views, the landscaping, the naturalness of it all. I can see myself here for a few weeks, but will opt for a week and some change.

 

















The horses get here and I start second guessing. The guide starts asking "Experencia, Experencia.." I look at him with eyes wide open and am like "NO, NO, NO." However, the group of people I am with were fab and helped to translate things to me when it was important.

Sooo they mount me up and we are off.. I decide I do not want to tell the horse what to do and we'll just let her follow the others, lol. Well that didn't work but soo long because she was gonna take me out otherwise. So some gentle tugging and we redirect her course.

The ride was not as uhm scary as I thought it was and look I'm holding the ropes..


The surroundings were beautiful!



















We rode to this waterfall and it had a ton of butterflies. The guide said it was their season. Now the punchline for this entire ride was that I guess the guide had taken a liking to the "dark one".. looks around.. Of course these jokes were made in Spanish and I could gather bits and pieces. When I finally did.. my suspicions were confirmed. I was kind of surprised because what I have noticed is that Colombians do not really prefer darker skin women. I've seen it happen and have experienced it quite a bit. Amazing how the "color" issue is still prevalent in some of the poorest countries. Oh well, he wanted to be my personal photographer and I ain't
mad!




Dirty legs after the first half of the ride! But hey... it could be me!

It's butterfly season and they were out!



The waterfall!





 



Here is my group of riders!

My horse..

..and my Colombian photographer.. *sighs*


We ended up riding for 3 hours and my legs hurt like you could NOT believe. While I may not take up horseback riding as a leisurely activity in the future, I am glad that I did it.

Now I came to Salento to enjoy the landscape and have me some TRUCHA (trout). There is a trout farm here and everyone talks about have fabulous the fish is, especially the heart attack on a plate, Trucha Mixta. But I think one thing to note about Salento on the weekends is that everyone comes together and eats outside and laughs.
 
They even had a "ride" where you kids could get on the pony. It consisted of a man pushing a child around to a horse strapped to a plank with wheels!














Back to the Trucha, it's like this queso sauce with the option of adding shrimp and mushrooms. Oh my it was soo delicious and I made a happy plate! They also serve Patacon with it (the golden thing). It's banana/plantain that's mashed, fried, mashed again, and fried again. Remember what I said, heart attack on a plate. The pictures do not do it justice, but trust when I say it was marvelous.





























We went to this cute little coffee place where I attempted to have hot chocolate. I guess the authentic hot chocolate is the cocoa and milk. It was soo tart, lol. I added a pack of sugar and it's not that bad!

 

I'm pooped, we watched some movies in the common area, and then I called it a night! I gotta get ready for this 5 hour hike tomorrow.. I'll rest sometime this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment