Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 31 - Salento (The Wax Palm Trees)

Since clearly, I cannot get enough of punishment, I figured..what's one more day, lol! So a group of us decide to do this well known hike right outside of Salento, known as Valle de Cocora. The hike is known for highlighting Colombia's National Tree - the Palma de Cera or Wax Palm Tree. It can grow up to 50M tall. It is the tallest palm tre in the world and can live up to 100 years. The wax is taken from the leaves and very top of the trunk to make candles and mold jewelry.

The hike is about 5 hours roundtrip, which includes a few stops, but treks to the coffee farm and the hummingbird house.. airquotes on the hummingbird. I asked people was the strike strenuous and they said, no it's fine. I should have KNOWN better, but of course I did not. Taking in all of nature once again was so serene. Did I mention I enjoy Salento? This is the hiking crew gearing up!


  

 






















...but some things were quite suspect, lol. With emphasis on the makeshift bridges. Who comes up with this stuff? I thought I was auditioning for Indiana Jones 2012 or summin. I just cannot be of my right mind!




Now at this here hummingbird site, called ACAIME, you walk .6KM, mostly up and you get to this makeshift house that charges you 3,000 pesos and includes a drink. 
 
I ordered hot chocolate. Not sure what it was, but it was NOT hot chocolate. It was a cross between chocolate, water, coffee, and tea. When people asked me how it was, I could only smack my lips like the senior citizens do when they don't have their dentures in. After everyone else tasted it, they understood why...


So then we had to double back to go up to the coffee plantation which was the top of the hill. Boyyyy I almost died a few times as we continued to ascend to higher and higher altitudes. We had to walk .8KM straight up. I was ready to really kill myself! I was sweating profusely and cussing along the way. However, it was a beautiful sight. Especially when we got to the other side of the mountain (and downhill). The views of the wax trees were magical! As well as the other views. Here ya go!

 



















When we got to this sign, we should have went left, not right to the birds, lol.





   









When we finally finished and got back to town, we looked for some lunch/snacks. The girls and I got Patacon con queso (plantain and cheese) with some aji (picante stuff) on the side. Boy it was goooodd! I'll surely have to count calories when I get back to the states.
I did not take a picture, but I must admit, I have taken a liking to mangos. It's the first time I've really taken time to enjoy them (since I've been in Colombia) without any alcohol in it. You know I love me some strawberry-mango margaritas/daiquiris. 

No comments:

Post a Comment